With summer over and fall gaining momentum, many of us are gravitating towards the rich, warm tones of autumn in our home and garden décor. If you’re wondering which fall flowers and plants to add to your fall window box arrangements, here are a few suggestions that will add color and character to your fall […]
Make a stunning first impression on house guests and passersby with our gorgeous copper-lined window boxes! With a subtle glow that only 100% real copper can create, these copper liners give your curb appeal an instant lift. And since the current copper trend for interior design isn’t going away anytime soon, you can enjoy these […]
Got your holiday list ready? To make your holiday shopping even easier, we’ve compiled some ideas for every type of person on your list. And the best part? You can order it online and avoid the crowds. Consider it our present to you. Happy shopping!
Everyone has a few empty spaces in their home that are just calling out for their perfect finishing touch to bring polish to the room. Artificial and living arrangements displayed in lanterns and terrariums are unique solutions to the riddle of “What could go there?” Here are some ideas to get you inspired filling up those empty spaces with the beauty of plants growing or arranged in eye-catching containers:
- For the Walls. Everyone’s got them–those small spots on the walls that are noticeably empty but not large enough for a piece of art or a framed photo. Small wall-mounted terrariums and lanterns can fit into those spaces with ease, and there are many different types available. You can purchase terrarium kits with colorful flower seeds included like the Wall Cone Terrarium with Plants that give red, pink, white and purple flowers for no-fuss arranging. If you prefer silks to living plants, you can also choose something like the Valencia Hanging Wall Lantern and Hook Set and fill the globe with fake succulents, flowers or herbs instead of a candle.[/one_half][one_half_last]
- For Overhead Space. High ceilings make a room feel spacious and open, but they can pose some interior design challenges. In areas where furniture has a low profile, the wide open space can seem a little too empty. Installing a hanging lantern like the Antiqued Gold Gazebo Hanging Lantern filled with an arrangement of artificial flowers or faux greenery will beautifully fill the space without adding any extra maintenance to your home.[/one_half][one_half_last]
- For the Corner. Is that one corner in the living room’s emptiness painfully obvious? A freestanding terrarium can transform that spot into a stunning indoor garden. An elegant design like the 58″ Tall Freestanding Wardian Terrarium Case will bring sophistication to the decor of the room where you entertain guests, and as an added bonus, you can be sure it will become a conversation piece. Everyone will want to get up close and marvel at your lovely garden.
- For the Dining Table. Purchasing a fresh flower arrangement every time you invite guests over to dine can get expensive and be a hassle. Forgo the bouquets and perishable candle centerpieces and instead display a group of terrarium candles like our Hammered Hurricane Terrariums. Fill the bottoms with realistic artificial plants that complement your decor, and you’ll have a stunning centerpiece that will stand the test of time. You can even change out the plants to match the season or holiday or to complement the look of the dinnerware you’re using for every occasion.[/one_half]
- For Accent Tables & Shelves. You don’t want your home to look cluttered, but bare tables and shelves can be just too spartan. A terrarium filled with flowers, succulents or mosses can take up that empty space and transform it with living beauty. A small tabletop terrarium like our 8.5 inch Small Terrarium is a great choice for beginners, and this simple design will complement most styles of decor. [/one_half]
Not only are these lantern and terrarium ideas the perfect way to fill up those empty spots in your home, but they’re also great for Mom’s house. Check out the selection of lanterns and terrariums at Hooks & Lattice to find the perfect pieces to spruce up your decor and get your Mother’s Day shopping managed at the same time.
How do you like to arrange and decorate your terrariums? Share your wisdom in the comments below.
Shop our full collection of terrariums and other home and garden accents HERE.
Fresh Ways to Use Christmas Wreaths
Smells have a way of evoking feelings and memories from long ago. For me, the smell of cut pine will forever make me think of carefully crafting Christmas wreaths with my father in our back yard. While I no longer make my own holiday wreaths thanks to time constraints and lack of easy access to materials, I enjoy the flood of memories that comes whenever I get a strong whiff of evergreen.
Fresh Christmas wreaths have been used for centuries to celebrate the season. Traditionally hung on the front door to welcome guests from next door or across the county, creative homeowners have been coming up with some interesting Christmas decorating ideas using this age old symbol of the season.
Where to hang your Christmas Wreaths
While a wreath hung on the front door will never go out of style, there is no reason to stop there. With a little imagination, a wreath can be turned into a multi-purpose Christmas decoration.
In a window
Many holiday wreaths are hand crafted works of art, to beautiful to keep to yourself. If you are looking to share your Christmas spirit with the whole neighborhood but don’t want to subject your wreaths to the elements, try hanging wreaths inside your home in street facing windows. If you like the idea of a wreath hanging in your window but want to enjoy it yourself, just hang your wreath inside the curtains.
Over your table
A big part of Christmas celebrations is the family meal. The memories made when gathered around the table with close friends and family really is the reason for the season. Help bring the spirit of the season to the dining room by hanging a wreath horizontally above the dinner table like a holiday chandelier. Any meal eaten under a wreath is bound to be filled with joy and holiday spirit.
Above your bed
Around the holiday season, sleep can become pretty rare. Between visits with rarely seen relatives, late night and early morning shopping trips, and the always-enjoyable gift wrapping sessions, sleep deprivation can set in early around Christmas. When you do get the chance lay your head down, wouldn’t it be nice to drift off with memories of Christmases past floating through mind? Hanging a wreath above your headboard is a great way to remind yourself why you love the season each night before bed.
This year when you decorate for Christmas, remember that wreathes are not just for the front door, spread the joy around your home with these Christmas decorating ideas. For the highest quality fresh Christmas wreaths visit HooksandLattice.com. Handcrafted fresh Christmas wreaths shipped express to doorsteps around the country and guarateed.
Is there any nature lover who doesn’t adore birds? Waking up to the delicate tones of birdsong and bird spotting in the early evening are just a few of the joys that birds bring to the world.
Birds: Universal Motifs of Peace
Images of birds have created a relaxing aesthetic in home décor for centuries, and pieces inspired by bird cages have rose in popularity since the Edwardian era. They add rustic charm to indoor and outdoor spaces alike. Here are five of our favorite bird products, from bird cage planters to bird houses.
- Wood and Wire Birdcage Centerpieces. This set of two centerpieces measure 9.5″ W by 19.25″ H will charm your guests and create a sweet atmosphere in your home. However, we cannot recommend decorating your backyard with these centerpieces – their wooden base has not been treated to handle inclement weather.
- Veranda Decorative Bird Cage. If you do want to express your love of birds on the outside of your property, consider adorning your deck or patio with this elegant fountain-like monument. The cage’s thin wires are perfect for displaying flowers you’ve grown in your garden, combined into a vibrant bouquet.
- Medium Bird Cage Planter. With this indoor planter, you can move on from just showcasing your flowers and plants to growing them in a bird cage-inspired planet. The planter bowl is 9.5″ deep, and the iron wire frame of the cage is sturdy enough to support climbing vines. Every one of these planters has been painted by hand, so you’ll know that each one is truly unique!
- Medium Glass Bird Cloche on Stand. Say goodbye to traditional candy or pastry trays, and say hello to this coffee table-friendly glass cloche. It’s an ideal gift for anyone who’s had trouble deciding how to display their knick-knacks, collections, and other small treasures worthy of being shown off. The metal and iron wires of the black stand are reminiscent of a bird cage. This piece stands 7″ H, while the bowl itself is 1.75″ H and 6.5″ in diameter.
- Driftwood Birdhouse. Out of these five products, this is the only one that real birds should actually use. This birdhouse is just as beautiful as it is functional. It’s sure to become a focal point of any outdoor area. Birds will flock to this birdhouse year after year to start families of their own, while you and your own family look upon the hatchlings with delight.
Unless the bird product you want to complement your home’s atmosphere specifically states that it is intended for use by actual animals, please do not use it for the housing or shelter of real birds. When in doubt, talk to a specialist at your local pet store about the best habitat for both domesticated and wild birds.
For first-timers and DIY veterans alike, deciding how to decorate lanterns is a fun and challenging part of the process. Some projects call for simplicity like the effortless feel of decorative candle lanterns, perhaps adorned with a ring of fresh garlands outside the enclosure. And for special occasions, transform metal lanterns into Christmas themed centerpieces or unforgettable wedding decoration ideas. With so many design concepts to choose from, here’s a few of our favorites to get you started:
Centerpiece Table Ideas
Spruce up everyday home decor with elegant table centerpiece ideas crafted using iron lanterns. On a dining room table, a kitchen island, or atop a patio set, indoor and outdoor lanterns add a touch of personal charm.
One classic option begins with our Victorian Table Lantern and your favorite pillar candle. Understated and elegant, this lantern provides the perfect display case for a gently flickering flame: A timeless accent that is sure to warm the ambiance at any dinner table. And it makes a great housewarming gift, too!
Lanterns for kitchen and tabletop display are also a wonderful opportunity to showcase your family’s personality. Fill with keepsakes like vacation souvenirs, children’s art projects, or a string of wildflower garlands to create an irresistible conversation piece.
Holiday Themed Lanterns
Give your Christmas, Passover or Thanksgiving table decor a boost using lanterns for decoration. For Christmas themed centerpieces, it’s as simple as choosing favorite yuletide materials: ornaments, garlands, holly berries, light strings, colored candles, and more. An enclosure like our Oxford Garden Lantern is ideal for combinations of bright reds and greens, all arranged to gleam through the lantern’s glass sides.
Incorporate lanterns into Thanksgiving table decor with festive autumn materials like dried fallen leaves, miniature pumpkins, and textured husks. Create your own favorite combinations and delight holiday guests with all the colors and shapes of the season.
Seaside & Beach Lantern
Start with simple bronze or black lanterns, fill with tokens of the sea or lakeshore, and, presto! You have a charming beach lantern that will warm any tabletop. Whether you live near the water or not, seaside themed lanterns are a breeze to create. Choose combinations of sand, seashells, pebbles and corals to construct a calming coastal theme. These can be collected in nature, or purchased at most any craft store.
Wedding Decoration Ideas
For a memorable wedding decoration, professional planners and DIY’ers alike are loving indoor and outdoor lanterns. An all-around charming look coupled with the endless opportunity to customize makes this an irresistible option for the big day! Cater to the bride and groom’s tastes by displaying glimpses of their life together within each lantern, like a folded map for the honeymoon destination, or a small photograph of the happy couple together. Or, keep it simple and classic with decorative candle lanterns and enclosures filled with brilliant floral arrangements.