Resolutions are as much a New Year’s tradition as champagne, fireworks, and the ball drop in Times Square. So while you’re making your plans for the New Year, why not include some for your garden? Whether you’re looking for a little plant pick-me-up or you’d like to start from scratch with a whole new garden […]
Wondering what’s hot in gardening for the new year? We’ve compiled some of the new year’s trends from top gardening experts for you so that you can start 2018 off right. Happy planting!
Adding window flower boxes to your outdoor space can instantly transform your home from boring to brilliant, sending curb appeal into the stratosphere. At Hooks & Lattice, we offer the best selection of stylish window boxes you’ll find anywhere. We’re proud to introduce our new Wayfarer wrought iron planter boxes to the collection. Like the popular European and Arch window boxes, the Wayfarer window planter draws inspiration from elegant Tuscan design. True to the style, this window box is all about wrought iron, flowing lines, and earthy elegance. And the ornate scrollwork adds a touch of whimsy. All three styles of window box can lend rustic Old World charm to your façade. To get the quintessential Tuscan feel, fill your Wayfarer planter with a combination of lavender, rosemary, and sage.
The Classic Wrought-Iron Flower Box: Upgraded
The classic wrought-iron look has been popular for ages, but when constructed in the classic way, iron outdoor accessories won’t last for ages. Our Wayfarer planters are handcrafted using heavy-duty steel. Stronger than traditional wrought iron, these durable planter cages will last for many years while still giving you that timeless look. To make them even more fit for outdoor display, we add a black powder-coat finish. These planters will withstand all seasons for years to come.
Perfect Window Flower Cages for Any Home
You don’t have to live in an Italian villa to incorporate the Wayfarer window box into your décor. This window box matches with any type of architecture. And the best part? You can customize it to get the look you want. We offer eight stunning window box liners to coordinate with your cage. Among these is our popular rot-proof white PVC liner. Or, to exemplify the Tuscan theme, you might choose one of our galvanized metal liners in bronze or real copper. From small kitchen windows to sprawling deck railings, these planter boxes come in sizes to fit any space.
Boosting Curb Appeal is as Easy as 1, 2, 3!
Creating a fresh new look for your home is so simple that any homeowner can do it. All you need to do is:
- Choose your mounting location. Don’t just restrict them to their traditional location below your windows – these versatile planter cages are ready to hang anywhere! Give new life to empty fence lines, bare walls, and uninspiring deck railings.
- Install your window box. Well designed with the average do-it-yourselfer in mind, all of our window boxes are easy to mount. They include predrilled mounting tabs for both vertical and horizontal installation. Find all the hardware you need in our online selection, or choose our convenient railing brackets for decks, patios, or porches.
- Let your garden grow! Fill the planter liner or 8” pots with soil, then add your plants or seeds. You’ll enjoy a bountiful hanging garden in no time!
For installation and planting suggestions for achieving the Tuscan look, our friendly customer service team is available via phone and online chat Monday-Friday, 7am-5pm Pacific Time.
We want to see the beautiful window box gardens you’ve created, that inspire you and that make you smile. At Hooks & Lattice we know how much love and attention you put into the window boxes you create and how seeing a beautiful window box can brighten your day. So help us spread the window box love during August and September for a chance to win a $100 Hooks & Lattice prize each week. Read more
Spring has arrived, which means that it is time to get busy adding colorful floral arrangements around the exterior of your home. If you have thought about adding flowers or plants to the outside of your house, you should think about using planter boxes. They allow you to easily boost curb appeal and make your home more inviting.
But, how do you choose the right window boxes to go with the décor of your home? Keep reading to find helpful window box ideas from Hooks and Lattice.
Fiberglass and PVC Planter Boxes
When you are looking for lightweight window box planters, you may want to consider using fiberglass or PVC planters. Fiberglass and PVC are nearly indestructible and are available in a wide range of styles and designs.
Among our most popular fiberglass window boxes are the Cleat Mount Laguna Planters. They feature clean lines that are perfect for colonial, Georgian or contemporary style homes.
These fiberglass designs can mimic the look of other materials, such as our Distressed Window Boxes or Bronze Fiberglass Planters. Both of these options have a rustic look that will help draw more attention to the exterior of your home.
Aluminum and Wrought Iron Window Boxes
If you are trying to dress up a brownstone or Tudor style home, you may want to take a closer look at our aluminum and wrought iron window boxes. They are also great for Victorian and Queen Anne style homes. The elegant handcrafted wrought iron has an authentic look. This captures the old world charm that is popular with a variety of home styling options.
Wrought iron options include our Arch Decora window boxes with crisscrossed bars that create a sophisticated look. For a bolder appearance, examine our European Window Box Cages. These cages are hand made from wrought iron. Arrange a series of 8-inch flower pots for a custom floral display.
Wood Window Box Planters
For those wanting a more natural look, you can use planter boxes constructed from wood. Redwood and cedar are naturally resistant to bugs, insects, and rotting. This makes them suitable for year-round outdoor use. They provide an organic, eco-friendly appearance that will look great with ranch, Pueblo, cottage, and bungalow style homes.
Browse our handcrafted wood window boxes to bring more rustic charm to your home.
Everything You Need to Transform the Exterior of Your Home
At Hooks and Lattice, we have everything that you need to give your home a makeover. In addition to window boxes, you can shop for exterior shutters or browse our great selection of faux balconies and iron accents – allowing you to instantly increase the curb appeal of your home.
Choosing the Right Hardware for Mounting Your Planters
Depending on the surface where you will mount your planter, you may need specific hardware. For installing planters along a brick exterior, purchase our 4-pack of mounting bolts. With deck railing brackets, you can install your planter along your deck, patio, or balcony railings.
Start browsing window box designs and styles today or call 800.896.0978 to speak with a representative about custom sizing options or for help selecting the right hardware.
Easy to Use Window Planter Box Buying Guide Available!
Hopefully, these window box ideas will give you some inspiration. Keep these suggestions in mind as you begin exploring various Hooks and Lattice window box ideas. For additional tips on selecting the right window boxes, you should check out our easy Window Box Buying Guide.
There is a lot to consider when choosing window box planters. In addition to deciding between fiberglass, wrought iron, and wood planter boxes, you will need to consider the size of the planter and installation options. All of these details are explored in the Hooks and Lattice Window Box Buying Guide. Just follow the link provided for even more useful window box tips and ideas for choosing the perfect one for you.
If you would like to find additional styling ideas, please call 800.896.0978 to speak with a design expert today.
When winter is at its coldest and grayest, you can find yourself looking at your house and giving a wistful sigh as you think about how you’d love to do something to spruce it up. Sadly, you have to wait for spring to arrive to get to work on improving your home’s curb appeal, right?
While some improvements should be held off until spring has fully sprung, you can take steps to enhance the appearance of your exterior before winter is done. White window boxes are a great way to add to a home’s curb appeal mid-winter. Read on to learn more about adding a flower box during the cold months of the year and to discover some stylish, easy winter window box ideas.
You truly can’t compete with the boost to curb appeal that flowers bring, but with living flowers those aesthetic benefits are brief. Flowers bloom for such a short period of time, and in many parts of the country, you’ll only manage to get one or perhaps two chances to enjoy the full beauty of the color of blossoms before cold weather sets in.
On top of the fleeting quality of living plants, there is all of the effort related to care and maintenance to be considered. Living flowering plants require watering and in some cases fertilizing and pruning to keep looking their best. For many businesses and homeowners that brief pop of color that flowers provide just doesn’t justify the time and money spent caring for living flowers. That’s why more and more people are considering outdoor artificial flowers for displaying outside of their homes, hotels, restaurants, office buildings, shopping malls and other buildings.
Fake Flowers: the Outdoor Difference
If you haven’t ever encountered commercial quality artificial plants before, you might be hesitant to even consider using fake flowers outside of your home or commercial building. After all, we’ve all seen fake silk and plastic flowers that look cheap and that fall apart if they’re simply touched the wrong way. It’s hard to imagine placing anything like that outside at the mercy of the elements or expecting those poorly made fake flowers to do much for the aesthetic appeal of an exterior.
These problems illustrate why it’s important to purchase commercial-grade outdoor artificial flowers for best results. These types of artificial plants are:
– Highly Realistic. The latest artificial flowering plants can’t easily be distinguished from the real thing unless they’re touched.
– Ultra Strong. Materials like industrial grade injection molded polyethylene make commercial grade artificial plants durable enough to remain outdoors in all types of weather, through every season.
– Fade Resistant. Inherent UV protection helps to keep commercial grade fake flowers from fading in the sun. The sun protection is actually embedded in the fibers rather than being sprayed on or applied to the surface of the artificial plants, so it can’t rub off or become washed away.
Types of Outdoor Artificial Flowers
There are a number of options available for sprucing up your exterior with outdoor artificial flowers, including:
– Faux Flowering Vines. Sold unpotted, artificial hanging flowers can be used to cover walls, ledges, railings and more.
– Hanging Baskets. Available in many different styles and colors, hanging baskets with artificial flowers are ideal for dressing up posts, poles, entryways, porches, patios, courtyards and other outdoor areas.
– Bushes and Individual Stems. You can purchase artificial flowering plants in large clusters that resemble bushes and as individual stems. Place just one in a small planter of your choosing or make a large arrangement by combining several varieties of outdoor artificial flowers into one pot or planter.
Artificial Plants Unlimited can help you boost the curb appeal of your home or business year round with the finest quality commercial grade artificial plants available. Browse our selection and discover all of the beautiful fake flower options to bring color to your exterior that won’t fade, wilt or ever require watering.
Considered a staple for moms and gardeners, hanging baskets have become to go-to for on-the-go flower-lovers who want to add a little color and curb appeal to their interior and exterior home décor. There are hundreds of hanging planters that you can purchase at major depots, but for gardeners, the real fun can be transplanting their own flowers into thriving hanging baskets of their own creation.
In this article, we will offer you tips on how to care for and maintain your selection of hanging flower baskets, as well as information about different liners and helpful self-watering reservoirs.
The Perfect Hanging Basket for You
When perusing hanging baskets, you will find that there is an abundance of unique hanging flower planters to choose from. There are ones with French wire scrolling, ones that have been handcrafted from beautiful bronze or gold Greek brackets, ones that have been molded from hard moss…and hundreds of other options.
The trickiest part will be finding the perfect one for you – one that matches the personality of your home, and yourself, while giving you the opportunity to build a flourishing, gorgeous bunch of your favorite flowers. Our advice? Go with what you love at first sight. This is one of those follow your heart moments that will come in handy because your first instinct is to pick the hanging flower planter that you will cherish the most.
Finding a Liner that Works Best
As many hanging baskets as there are, there are almost twice as many hanging basket liner options. We prefer the all-natural route of coconut coir liners, made from an organic concoction of coconut fibers and tree sap.
Coconut coir liners are strong, yet fibrous, allowing roots from your flowers to grow deep, providing the best circulation of air to nourish and nurture your plants. They are accommodating to a variety of hanging flower planter sizes and shapes, and each liner retains moisture for days after regular watering.
Self-Watering Reservoirs for Hanging Basket Maintenance
Hanging basket maintenance is more than just finding the perfect coconut coir liner, or snagging the best hanging flower basket, a self-watering reservoir could make all the difference.
For on-the-go gardeners, self-watering reservoirs will keep your soil moist when you don’t have the time to nourish your hanging basket plants. You simply fill up the fill tubes with water and leave it be for a few days. A 6-inch single self-watering reservoir can maintain an 18-inch hanging flower basket for up to 3 days at a time.
Caring for the blossoms that are blooming in hanging flower baskets requires time. Not as much as gardening vegetables, mind you, but there is definitely an art to growing beautiful flowers in mid-air.
Everyone has a few empty spaces in their home that are just calling out for their perfect finishing touch to bring polish to the room. Artificial and living arrangements displayed in lanterns and terrariums are unique solutions to the riddle of “What could go there?” Here are some ideas to get you inspired filling up those empty spaces with the beauty of plants growing or arranged in eye-catching containers:
- For the Walls. Everyone’s got them–those small spots on the walls that are noticeably empty but not large enough for a piece of art or a framed photo. Small wall-mounted terrariums and lanterns can fit into those spaces with ease, and there are many different types available. You can purchase terrarium kits with colorful flower seeds included like the Wall Cone Terrarium with Plants that give red, pink, white and purple flowers for no-fuss arranging. If you prefer silks to living plants, you can also choose something like the Valencia Hanging Wall Lantern and Hook Set and fill the globe with fake succulents, flowers or herbs instead of a candle.[/one_half][one_half_last]
- For Overhead Space. High ceilings make a room feel spacious and open, but they can pose some interior design challenges. In areas where furniture has a low profile, the wide open space can seem a little too empty. Installing a hanging lantern like the Antiqued Gold Gazebo Hanging Lantern filled with an arrangement of artificial flowers or faux greenery will beautifully fill the space without adding any extra maintenance to your home.[/one_half][one_half_last]
- For the Corner. Is that one corner in the living room’s emptiness painfully obvious? A freestanding terrarium can transform that spot into a stunning indoor garden. An elegant design like the 58″ Tall Freestanding Wardian Terrarium Case will bring sophistication to the decor of the room where you entertain guests, and as an added bonus, you can be sure it will become a conversation piece. Everyone will want to get up close and marvel at your lovely garden.
- For the Dining Table. Purchasing a fresh flower arrangement every time you invite guests over to dine can get expensive and be a hassle. Forgo the bouquets and perishable candle centerpieces and instead display a group of terrarium candles like our Hammered Hurricane Terrariums. Fill the bottoms with realistic artificial plants that complement your decor, and you’ll have a stunning centerpiece that will stand the test of time. You can even change out the plants to match the season or holiday or to complement the look of the dinnerware you’re using for every occasion.[/one_half]
- For Accent Tables & Shelves. You don’t want your home to look cluttered, but bare tables and shelves can be just too spartan. A terrarium filled with flowers, succulents or mosses can take up that empty space and transform it with living beauty. A small tabletop terrarium like our 8.5 inch Small Terrarium is a great choice for beginners, and this simple design will complement most styles of decor. [/one_half]
Not only are these lantern and terrarium ideas the perfect way to fill up those empty spots in your home, but they’re also great for Mom’s house. Check out the selection of lanterns and terrariums at Hooks & Lattice to find the perfect pieces to spruce up your decor and get your Mother’s Day shopping managed at the same time.
How do you like to arrange and decorate your terrariums? Share your wisdom in the comments below.
Shop our full collection of terrariums and other home and garden accents HERE.